Friday, February 24, 2012

Introducing Shirlee Fassell

Hi!   I am new to the "art quilt" world and honored to join the Art Quilt blog ...  If you really want to call what I do art quilting. My real passion is embroidery and I started making crazy quilts.
Vintage Vignettes 2007 finalist $100,000 Quilt Challenge
shortly after this was finished in 2007 I started taking tambour embroidery lessons.  I did lots of small projects from 2007 to 2009.

Doll bed quilt 2009
By 2010 when my CQ friends mounted a 2012 CQ challenge I was perplexed.  I no longer wanted to crazy quilt.  I had fallen in love with my tambour hook.  I tried several attempts and this is what happened.

All the embroidery is done by hand using a tambour hook... and occasionally a needle.  I only employ the sewing machine (with lots of trepidation I might add) when I have to assemble the quilt.

Close up view each circle is about 6" in diameter and the quilt measures 56" by 62"

I am now working on another "quilt", I probably will call it "psychedelic circles".  The circles are lame with silk organza layered over it.
Some of the circles are done individually and some are done in groups.   They are not yet attached to the background.  This is 1/4 of the quilt.  There are about 33 circles ranging from 6" to 8" in diameter.  
You can see more on my blog   NeedleandHook.

I do not sell anything but occasionally do lectures and teach tambour.

7 comments:

Karen S said...

These are pretty spectacular pieces. I really like the one with the dark background.

Lynn said...

Absolutely stunning work. I love crazy quilts and embroidery. I never heard of your tambour work but it is so beautiful. These are artistic and they are quilts therefore they are art quilts! Bravo!

landscapelady said...

just beautiful! I also have never heard of tambour but am now going to look it up and see what it's all about - thank you for sharing this with us:)

Shirlee Fassell said...

Thanks for the comments.. If you look at my blog I have "label" for one that has a youtube video for tambour hook

Sharon Rotz said...

Exquisite work. I do love hand embroidery and I hope you will continue to share with us. Welcome to the Art Quilt Blog.

Chris Daly said...

Shirlee, Your work is so inspiring. You have taking crazy quilting in a whole new direction. Bravo!

ruthanne said...

A little late at seeing your awesome quilt, but it is such an inspiration.