Monday, September 3, 2012

bohemiannie! art



My rendition of The Kiss

I've recently joined The Art Quilt Blog and am writing this post to introduce myself to this group of talented artists. 

One of the78 invitations I recently made for my daughter's baby shower. 

My name is annie! (little a, exclamation point) and I've been arting and blogging under the name bohemiannie! art for a few years now. 

bohemiannie! art business cards

My blog...which is just over 2 years old is www.bohemiannieart.blogspot.com. 

some of my fabric and altered books - and a stool I 'quilted' awhile back

I have a lot of mixed media and art journal friends online but thought I'd join this group in the hopes of meeting more art quilters.

notebook cover

The pictures on this post are a mix of recent and older work. You can see lots of my stuff on my art 1, my art 2, etc. pages on my blog if you're interested.

My granddaughter and I working on her new baby sister's quilt.

While I LOVE most all art, my main passion is with fabric and thread. 

With my surface designed fabrics, I used a pattern named Hoot N Annie by a lady named Annie to make these owls but sorry I can't remember her last name!

I've been sewing since I was 14…that's 44 years now…but it wasn't until I visited a Mancuso show in Williamsburg, VA…that I saw an art quilt. 

This is the quilt I've pieced for my new granddaughter but it's taking me a LONG time to have the nerve to quilt it. I just have all kinds of blocks when it comes to anything close to traditional!

Then, it took me 10 years of looking and yearning and wannabee-ing to finally try my hand at it. 

I made Valentine brooches and then cards to put them on until my friends were gifted.

THEN, it took me about 5 years to have ANY confidence at all with what I was doing. 

I live in Colombia and just after visiting here the first time - before we moved - I made this quilt for my son-in-law.

Now…I've decided that my way of making art is…my way. 

art journal cover

I embrace and love it and look at every single thing I do as a fun, learning experience. 

Cayo Costa Study #8

At least...mostly. (I'm thinkin about my granddaughter's quilt that's had me frozen for the past month).

I had so much hanging around that I started what I call door knob quilts. That way when I give or sell one...the recipient doesn't feel like they have to hammer a nail in the wall. 

And boy do I love to experiment. I've blogged about how art became FUN for me here if you want to take a look/see.

This is a page out of one of my fabric books.

I live in South America. My daughter married a wonderful man from Barranquilla, Colombia and when they moved here…they brought the baby! Can you believe that?!? So, of course, I had to follow. It's just the way I am. Thank God for my hubby who came along with us. :) He is such a huge part of the best side of me. 

Another door knob quilt.

Anyway, we're retired. I spend my days making art, playing with my granddaughters (we have 2 now) and loving life to the best of my ability. 

One of my first door knob quilts.

When I realized that we were moving here, I began collecting art supplies in earnest knowing I wouldn't be able to get them here. 

detail of a quilt

I have more supplies than I can ever use up and will eventually hold a retreat in this area…where participants can fly down with a suitcase and have all - or most of - their art supplies ready and waiting for them.

A page out of my newest fabric book. I'll be teaching this workshop in Florida later this month. :)

For now, I teach workshops where-ever I'm invited...and love that part of my life too. If you'll pay my expenses...I'll come!

Another door knob quilt!

To my delight, I frequently sell my pattern, quilts, bags, books…whatever…and would love to receive an email if you see something that you'd be interested in purchasing. 

People Let Your Light Shine fabric book

I've developed a pattern for my bohemiannie! bag and have it for sale on my blog. 

bohemiannie! bag

I plan to have a page of work for sale eventually…but for now, I'm just too busy to get it done!

surface designed fabric

It is wonderful to be part of this group and I look forward to getting to know all of you.

door knob quilt

Create Your Life,

My Happy For No Reason book

annie!

detail of me...I mean of a page in my book

14 comments:

sheila 77 said...

Hello annie!, I feel as if I have just been to an art exhibition! What a wonderful selection of art quilts and art work. I love "Another door knob quilt" maybe partly because of the unusual shape and use, but also for the design and colours, and I also like very much many of the other works you show here. You have such a different and striking technique.

Gill said...

Hi annie!
Fabulous work as always!

Nancy said...

Enjoyed your post. Your work shows such variety... lovely.

Julie-Anne McDonald said...

It is fun to see your work outside Sketchbook Challenge. I'll add your blog to my regular viewing. I too am mostly an art quilter so I hope you will visit my blog too. Thanks for introducing me to this site as well.
www.julie-annemcdonald.com

Leovi said...

Wonderful compositions which show in this great post at The Art Quilt Blog I that pretty quilt landscape of Colombia.

bohemiannie! art said...

Thanks so much to all of you for the lovely, supportive compliments!!!

Lynn Cohen said...

What a vast array of art. Love the kiss and the last one best and all the ones inbetween too. Bringing your child into the mix is awesome too passing on the family tradition.

Catharina Engberg said...

What lovely art you do! Keep it up! Thank you for visiting and comenting on my artblog "art by Catharina Engberg" ! You are wellcome back!

www.catharinaengberg.blogspot.se

Coleen said...

Great posting annie! Fun to see all your work and to get more clear on your history. I am essentially doing what you did after raising kids and working for 20 years. Now fun to be exploring, teaching others here, and learning what I like doing. You seem to have a clear direction which I can't say I have yet. Thanks for sharing so much of yourself.

Coleen in Ukraine

Cynthia Stevenson said...

Your art is so beautiful and bright! I found you through Sandi! Wow! I'm enjoying the new artists and inspirational work. ~Blessings!

Chris Daly said...

Hi Annie, So glad you have joined us. Your work is inspiring, creative and whimsical. I can't wait to see more.

Kit Lang said...

I somehow missed this but I am very glad to see it now. Welcome! I'm so glad you've joined us and I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. :)

bohemiannie! art said...

Thanks so much Chris!

bohemiannie! art said...

Actually...thanks to ALL of you for your lovely comments! I'm on vacation for a month and will hopefully get to your blogs sometime this month!